Winter Oven Beef Stew
This is a great cold-weather meal,“ says Bettina Turner from Kernersville, North Carolina. “I love it because everything‘s in one pot
- dutch oven
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can stewed tomatoes cut up, 14-1/2 ounces
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt if desired and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Save any remaining flour mixture.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat until meat is browned. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!