Peruvian Salsa CriollaShared by:
An ultra-simple salad/salsa/side dish, Peruvian Red Onion Tomato Salad requires only a few ingredients, takes a few minutes of active prep time, and is a perfect accompaniment to many of your favorite dishes!
- 2 red onions very thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 ají peppers very thinly sliced (see notes)
- 8 ounces tiny tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 to 4 limes juiced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Generously salt the onions, add a handful of ice cubes, and cover with water. Allow them to soak for 15-30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, and return to the bowl.
- While the onions soak, slice peppers, and the tomatoes.
- Squeeze the limes.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
I use ají limo because I can get a bag of these colorful peppers frozen at my local Latin market. They're about as hot as a jalapeno. Ají amarillo would be an excellent choice - especially if you can get them fresh. You can substitute jalapeno or Fresno chiles. Add them to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!