Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Prunes, Potatoes & CauliflowerShared by:
Chicken tagine is a traditional Moroccan dish of chicken pieces braised with spices, garlic, onion, olives, and lemons.
- Zester, Tajine pot, wide dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or Harissa optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves finely grated
- 1 tbs honey
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb very small white potatoes scrubbed
- 2 onions sliced
- 3/4 lb cauliflower florets
- 12 moist prunes more is fine
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large lemons with separated zest from one of them
- 8 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, mix together the harissa or cayenne pepper, spices, garlic, honey, salt and pepper, and olive oil.
- Cut the potatoes if they are large; here’s no need to peel them or into very thin (1/16 in) slices and put them into a shallow 12in casserole with the onions. Add the cauliflower and prunes. Take one-third of the harissa mixture and toss it with the vegetables. Add the chicken stock and place over medium heat until the mixture is simmering.
- Meanwhile, — Zest one of the lemons or both using a zester or by scraping the skin with a knife. Chop up the lemons and carefully remove any seeds. Its also ok to remove the flesh from the rind and slice the rind into large slices. Reserve the zest for final garnish. Add the chopped lemons to the rest of the mixture along with any juice. Mix the chicken thighs with this mixture, rubbing it all over. Set the chicken on top of the simmering vegetables, skin side up. Season the chicken and put the dish into the oven. Optionally the chicken can be seasoned and marinaded for an hour or two in the refrigerator.
- Cook for 45 minutes, taking the dish out and scooping the cooking juices up over the chicken a couple of times. You should end up with dark, golden chicken and tender vegetables.
- Garnish either in the pan or on a serving plate with the lemon zest over the chicken along with the cilantro. Serve with a bowl of Greek yogurt on the side - you can grate some garlic into it or leave it as it is—is also excellent.
You can also use Broccoli instead of or with the Cauliflower.
Calories: 639kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 37gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 312mgPotassium: 1542mgFiber: 8gSugar: 23gVitamin A: 844IUVitamin C: 70mgCalcium: 111mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!