Jackfruit Vegetarian Pork Style Tacos al PastorShared by:
This was our first ever jackfruit recipe, and it was unbelievable. We simmered the whole jackfruit pieces in the sauce and then grilled it to give it that blackened feel. We tossed it back in the pot and shredded it, what an amazing fruit!! You can find jackfruit in your local Asian market or online.
- 2 20 oz can young jackfruit in brine or water drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 T soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- corn tortillas
- Diced onion
- Chopped pineapple
- chopped cilantro
- Blend all ingredients except jackfruit, pineapple, cilantro, onion, and citrus juices in a blender until smooth.
- Bring sauce to a simmer in a large Dutch oven or sauté pan.
- Add jackfruit, and simmer for about 20 minutes. The sauce will reduce and darken in color. You may otherwise remove the jackfruit after 10 minutes and grill it with pineapple slices over a medium flame until charred, about 5 minutes per side (keep reducing the sauce).
- Mash or shred the jackfruit and toss in the sauce with the citrus juices. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on warm tortillas with onion, pineapple, and cilantro.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!