Gazpacho, the granddaddy of all uncooked soups, has several things in common with a smoothie. It’s a cold, thick liquid containing ripe, juicy produce. You make it in a blender. It’s refreshing on a hot summer day.
- 2 pounds tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium cucumber peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 slice ½-inch white bread torn into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 avocado thinly sliced (optional)
- 1. Put the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, olive oil, almonds, bread, vinegar, jalapeño, and garlic in a blender; season with salt and pepper. Process until smooth, adding up to ½ cup water if necessary. (Work in batches if not all the ingredients fit in your blender at once.)
- 2. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Refrigerate for up to a few hours before serving or serve immediately, garnished with the avocado if desired.
Reserve some of the coarsely blended mixture to add back after the rest is good and smooth. Garnish with shredded Basil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!