Chanclas de Chayote RellenoShared by:
Stuffed Chayote is a Puerto Rican cultural favorite. This recipe is made with meat, Caribbean seasoning and cheese. Chayote is also very popular in Mexico. Chayote is one of the healthiest vegetables in the squash family.
- 6 each chayote cut in half and seed removed
- 3 pounds ground beef or picadillo see the picadillo recipe
- 2 cup parmesan cheese grated or use another cheese like mozzarella
- 2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Water to boil chayotes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 ° F. Cut the squash in half (lengthwise). Boil sliced and seeded Chayotes in salted water until tender (about 45-60 minutes). Prepare the recipe for ground beef or picadillo. Remove Chayotes when ready and allow to cool. Scoop out soft flesh of Chayote using a metal spoon, remove the pulp, leaving the edges to the chayote not lose its shape or break. Press or use a clean towel to squeeze and remove water from the Chayote flesh and drain. Add the Chayote pulp mixture with the chopped meat. Adjust salt (to taste and only if necessary) Stuff the Chayote with this mixture. Mix cheese and breadcrumbs. Top the Chayotes with cheese and breadcrumbs and place in a baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and browns.
- Serve with Basmati Rice and a simple salad with a slice of tomatoe.
Picadillo recipe https://fridaysnacks.info/index.php/recipe/picadillo/ This recipe can also be made with just cheese, almonds and spinach to make it vegetarian. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnrs8GnbeU
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!