BAKLAVA is a rich sweet delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. ... In baklava, layers of crisp phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts, and the whole thing is then soaked in a fragrant sweet syrup made with sugar, lemon, and cinnamon.
- 4 cups sugar
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 `inch stick cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 2
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Pistachio corsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Almond / Hazelnut coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Pecans coarsely chopped
- Put all the syrup ingredients in a pan.
- Bring it to boil and cook for 8-10 minutes
- Let it cool before using it because we don't want our baklava to get soggy. The hot syrup will make baklava soft.
- Mix together all the dough ingredients and make a dough.
- most probably you will not need water for the dough ...but if you need you can use a little water.
- Keep kneading the dough until it stops sticking to the pan.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Make phyllo sheets as shown in the video. Or use ready-made phyllo sheets.
- Brush a good amount of melted butter on phyllo sheets before and after shaping the baklava..butter will give your baklava a nice colour and crisp. For a perfect taste of baklava fill in as many nuts as possible ..
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 150°c f(300 F) or 40 to 45 minutes.
- Pour sugar syrup on baklava
- Let baklava sit in sugar syrup for 4 to 6 hours for the best results.
- Enjoy your homemade baklava with a hot cup of tea.
Readymade phyllo pastry sheets are easily available in most supermarkets in the freezer section. We always try to show recipes from scratch so people with limited sources could also enjoy these tastes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!